Saturday, January 9, 2021

Maple Leaf

Before landing in the country of Maple Leaf, Canada, we along with family made sure we visted to all gods and temples to complete our vow.

Have taken the flight from Hyderabad-New Delhi-Toronto on 9th June 2020. Traveling amidst the Corona Virus made me take all the necessary precautions. Have checked in my baggage at Hyderabad airport and boarded the flight for Delhi. A layover of about 8 hrs and then boarded a flight to Toronto. On entering the flight, there were no signs of social distancing. I wore a N95 mask all through out the journey and a transperant plastic face shield. I've submitted A duly signed paper, before boarding, which says the Airline is not responsible for any kind of covid symptoms and shall deboard the flight immediately and the cost shall be borne by the passenger. There were a group of passengers, probably heading to China, dressed in white apron from top to toe shielding from virus attack. I look around the airport and the passengers, spraying all over the seating places, rubbing theirs palms with sanitizers, it was wierd but it is the new normal.

As I reached my seat in flight, I see a zip lock bag with some chips, chocolates, fruit drinks and sandwich. Indirectly it says, stop calling the crew members for any snaks and drinks you moron! So, my dream of having wine is gone for a toss. During the entire 16 hrs of journey, I had'nt had taken any food or drink as I know that would create huge pressure in my intestines which would burst out like a volcano. I saw, from my window seat, the city lights twinkling like stars, thinking of all the dramatic changes to the initial plan and slowly slipped to sleep. Sleeping with a mask and face shield was a challenge in itself. But that's the new normal. When I woke up, I saw the beautiful clouds passing by. By the time I landed in Toronto, it was around 6 a.m and very soon I was in line for my turn at the immigration cell.

After waiting for almost an hour, I did show my passport, my COPR(Confirmation Of Permanent Residence) document, my address and clarified about my 14 day quarantine plan. My COPR document was stamped and I was told would receive my PR card in 3 months by mail. My plan was to stay at the aiport since my connecting to my city, Saskatoon, was on the following day. But, due to covid restrictions, passengers were not allowed inside the airport. So, I headed towards a nearby hotel by taxi. Just for a night, I paid about $260. My first spending in CAD in a new nation. It was hard to digest the amount on the very first day. I got refreshed after a long flight, had a very good sleep. Woke up the next day early morning, arranged a taxi and was getting all the luggage to downstairs from thr 2nd floor. Unlike in India, there's no one to help you. I took two iterations for all this and meanwhile the taxi driver was waiting and I was late by about 5 min. He got pissed off and said to me" look out for other taxi. Im getting late." I then understood, here in Canada 'Time is Money'.

As I entered the domestic flight lobby, the lady on the counter asked me to pay some $900 as the previous transaction of the credit card did not go through. My second heart stroke on the second day. I left with no other choice but to follow her. In an hour I boarded the flight. 3.5 hrs of journey, I saw myself in Saskatoon, my destination. It was a sunny day. Took a taxi to the hotel where my quarantine plan was scheduled. A guy who was staying there, as this is air bnb accomodation, drops a bombshell making me sleepless nights for the rest of the quarantine plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment