Saturday, December 26, 2020

Road to Erode

Gap. The three letter word makes a lot of sense when recruiters look at the career gap which the candidate has due to various reasons. I totally understand now. After a long 8 years of gap I've started writing my blog again. There's a lot changed in my life, new goals to be fulfilled, new commitments and priorities changed. I gave it a though as in how and where should I start. Decided to start from where I stopped.

I'm gonna start my story in tits and bits, from what ever I can extract from my lil brain and jot it down here.

So I was having a very peacful journey with my professional life, have achieved a lot at very young age, managing the entire production floor, managing various behavioral issues with the workers and on top of that I had a made my mark in my first company Sheela Foam. I was transferred from Gr.noida to Erode plant on Oct 2012 where I was welcomed entirely by a new culture, new people and citizens of the country look like as it they are the brothers and sisters of coal. Everywhere it was written in Tamil which appears to me a bird scratching on the sign board. The way they take food also surprised me. People here would smash idli, break dosa into pieces, as if there is some championship titile for the most pieces smashed, pour sambar onto it and mix it throughyly with hands but like a grinder and take palmful of it to mouth. Smashing was not just limited to idli or dosa but extends for roti, pavbhaji and beyond your imagination. It then appeared to my mind that this country is as diversified as rainbow colors with each state has its own way of living, its way of culture and their own way of eating habits.

I took charge of the unit in the mattress division and started educating, training, hiring, people. Erode is located just at a very strategic location, 4 hrs by road to Kerala. 3 hrs by road to Bangalore, one of the main business for mattress. Initially I was unable to understand their language. I used to talk in hindi and English and in this part of the country is like greek and latin. It was very hard to get things done. Then I started talking butler english which very few people understood. Then eventually I learnt their language "Tamil" and I've got some of my best professiona career in terms of catering best services to our channel partners, fulfilling the requirements within the predefined service levels and also increasing the production capacity within the approved quality parameters. In some instances there were issues like the north vs south workers and sometimes it was murali vs the unit head narendran. I managed quite well with no conflicts. Made some changes to the existing way of working. I read somewhere that everything can be predicted in the world but the human behavior. It got geeply engrossed in my mind and since then on I handled like holding a blade with razor finish on both sides.

On personal front there was nothing to do much as I used to stay long after office hours and coming back to home, eating out and going to bed. This was my almost daily routine. I enjoyed those days thoroughly. When I call up my friends, they hang out on weekends, partying, dating. But for me, all this was a distant dream. I was on the hope, everything goes well. I've got some very good friends who were very supportive, very helpful and can arrive on call during emergency. I also got acquainted with a very good family who knew telugu and rechristined the head of the family as "Jangaon" uncle after a place nearby my hometown where he worked for quiet a long time. I have some memorable visits to the actual country side view of the place, lush green fields, flowing riviers, houses built with leaves and wood. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sometimes when I look back, it appears to me that it was because of me the unit head was fired as I was not liking him the way I was getting treated. Talking in tamil in meetings, not giving importance to me and by passing me in my mattress divison made me act againt him which lead him to get fired when I outspoke against him with the top management. I would have been made the unit head now if I stick to that company. But there's something else in my destiny.

I was always looking for ways to get out of the company for a higher salary and get closer to a city from a remote location like Perundurai in Erode. Altogether I was more in managerial position by the time I quit from the company on Jan 2015.

Gap. "G"et "A"gain on "P"ath. After writing this blog, I've given a new definition. Gap in resumes should be considered as the looser is not the one who falls in the boxing ring but who fails to get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment