Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Rolling Stone & Canada

My third company in Hyderabad was into making of Automated Meter Readings(AMR's) which has a very very small manufacturing set up in a 3 floor building converting a nice home into an electronic manufacturing. My first day, my blood rushed to high peaks of converting this nano company into atleast a micro. As I owe them the gratitude of offering me a job offer during crisis.

I hardly understood anything in the process. But gradually, I learnt the parts go into it. Spoke to the vendors for quick deliveries and negoiated on the volume discounts. Understoof the process of purchasing and electronics industry. I was giving my best shot to the company but I very quickly found that the management and the directors of the company don't have sufficient funds to run the business and inturn delaying employee salaries. Delayed for upto to months together. Even then I worked in the interest of the company.

On personal front, I was doing okay. My wife started working to compensate the household expenses. On one bad morning, she started getting severe stomach ache and when taken to the doctors, they pulled out the scan reports which stated she has fibroids, small tumors in the uterus, and has to be taken care of immediately. This has blown off my mind. Doctors scared us so much that it was like "now or never". This was first encounter with the corporate hospitals. We both were frightened. Informed our angles, our beloved parents. With the help of our family doctors, she was taken to a room wherein she was lying for overnight to get prepared for the operation next day. The surgery took about 2 hrs. Doctors have removed all the fibroids performing laproscopic myomectomy. This was the most disturbing part in our lives after marriage. She has lost weight post surgery. She has to be extremely careful while walking. No bending,carry heavy weights and no strides at all.

My pockets were empty for paying the hospital bills. I just have close to a lac which was not enough to cover up the expenses. Hospitals suck your hard earned money especially when you do not have a health policy in place. I sold few of my stocks which gave me an oxygen of about 50k. Then I got some money from one of my uncle's and my sister from States. This was very difficult time. Professionaly it was not encouraging. I could'nt take it anymore. I quit the company again with out having a backup plan. It was then when we bith us together discussed and rolled out our business selling ladies garments from our house. We had those leggings sourced from Tiruppur, Tamilnadu, from one of my friends. Then we had stock of kalamkari sarees, dress material and kurta pyjamas. I ran shop to shop to market the leggings. From one end of the city to other. We got few orders. We supplied them. But everyone wants on credit which I cannot afford at that time. We are making reasonal money.

One day from one of our acquaintances, we discovered the permanent resident for Canada is easy and we got into the details with one of the consultancies. We have decided to go for it and I gave IELTS with a score of 6.5. Proceeded with all the documents and process with no hopes of getting any close to it.

After a gap of nearly six months, I landed another job in a mattress making company where I was incharge of the production. Life was going good again. We got a good news that my profile has been selected for the Canada PR. Due to long distance travel to work, have managed learning car and used to commute by car. We were so much confused over planning for kids in India or in Canada. Personally I wanted to have it in India as this would be her first time and she has to be taken care of.

On professional front, I used to be very busy, coming late home, tired and drifting to sleep in 5 min. Once the marriage is done, there will be a mounting pressure fom parents to become grand parents. Every phone call to my mom, she asks only one question for which I really do not have answer. Every month, she asks for my wife if she has mensus. She tried explaining me how complicated it would be if we keep on delaying for kids. She explains me how the planning should be if we wanna go for a second child. She literally persuaded me to go for kids asap. After every mensus cycle she would ask me if we made love and would wait for another cycle to hear the happy news. It was'nt just my mom but every relative whom we talk over phone, whom we visted on weekends. If my wife gained a bit if weight and wore loose tops/kurtas the instant question is: are you conceived? Everybody was "in persuit of an answer".

By the time I was sure of the Canadian PR, I again quit my job hoping to receive the final PR in just couple of months.But it was taking more time than I anticipated and again I was back to square one. In just three years I rolled over 3 times to various companies. But all through this, my wife stood by me like rock solid. I'm very lucky to have her in my life. There's no frame in my life without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment